In all churches and communities, there are those who are facing issues such as chronic illnesses, stress, substance abuse, grief, loneliness, and teen pregnancy. Individuals often look to their parish for support and direction. Parish health ministry and parish nursing are means of reaching out to those members. In doing so, we continue the healing ministry of Jesus in our communities today.
Our parish health ministry keeps us stronger and healthier as we create the kingdom of God for all people. The health ministry is for people of all ages.
Check the monthly calendar for upcoming health and wellness events.
Call Linda Radder, our parish nurse, at 414-358-4600, ext. 158.
What is a Parish Nurse?
A parish nurse is a professional registered nurse who provides holistic nursing services in a parish. The parish nurse serves as an integrator of faith and health, and strives to create an environment that fosters an understanding of the overall relationship of our physical, psychological, and spiritual status with our overall well-being.
Ways a parish nurse can help you:
1) Visit in your home, hospital, or nursing home to listen to your concerns, to pray with you, to answer questions you may have related to your health
2) Monitor your blood pressure
3) Help prepare questions for a doctor's visit
4) Help you to access community services such as home health care, Meals On Wheels
5) Offer educational programs (Advance Directives, living wills, heart health, etc.)
6) Offer support in times of crisis, chronic illness, or caregiver concerns
The Role of a Parish Nurse
Parish Staff Member
Health Educator and Counselor
Health Care Agent
Throughout the Gospels there are numerous stories about the healing ministry of Jesus. Jesus addressed the needs of the whole person--body, mind, and spirit.
Jesus told a woman he healed, "Your faith has saved you. Go in peace and be cured of your affliction." - Mark 5:34
Jesus told his disciples to continue the healing ministry.
"[The disciples] set out from village to village proclaiming the good news and curing diseases everywhere." - Luke 9:6